NYSSMA Piano 2021
Students who study piano have the opportunity to participate in the 2021 New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA) Piano Solo Festival. Students perform a prepared piece of music (chosen from the NYSSMA Manual), scales and will be given an example of music to sight read. Your child’s performance will be evaluated by a qualified NYSSMA Adjudicator who will provide students with constructive comments and a rating.
This festival is usually held at The College of St. Rose but for 2021, all NYSSMA solo festivals will be held virtually. There will be NO IN-PERSON festivals this year. Students will have a one week window (February 5 – February 12, 2021) to record their piano performance and upload to the “MusicFirst” web based program for music evaluations.
Here is the process for interested students:
- Students must register through Niskayuna CSD. Private teachers cannot register their students.
- Complete the information on the next page and return (with the fee) to the district music office by Jan. 8, 2021.
- After registration is complete (in late January) students will receive a URL to upload their work.
- Students record and upload their performance from February 5 – February 12. Recordings can be done on a smartphone or tablet. You may upload your best “take”. Students will also have the option to record directly into the “MusicFirst” program.
- Receive the written adjudicator feedback/evaluation approximately 1-2 weeks after the performance.
- Students must perform a solo that is listed in the NYSSMA Manual (Edition 32 – 2018)
- If a student performs a solo that is not in the NYSSMA Manual, they receive “Comments Only” – no score.
- Scale info: Level 1-2: any 3 scales. Level 3-4: A, Eb, B. Level 5-6: E, Ab, F#
Sight Reading will be done using SightReadingFactory.com from within “MusicFirst” web-based program.
Fees: Cash or check payable to NISKAYUNA FRIENDS OF MUSIC (or FOM)
Level 1-4: $16 Level 5-6: $24
Please return the application form (and check made payable to FOM) to the District Music Office by January 8, 2021.