NYSSMA Solo Festival 2021
*Applications due by February 12, 2021*
Students who sing or play an instrument have the opportunity to participate in the 2021 New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA) Solo Festival. Students perform a prepared piece of music (chosen from the NYSSMA Manual), scales and will be given an example of music to sight read. Your child’s performance will be evaluated by a qualified NYSSMA Adjudicator who will provide students with constructive comments and a rating.
This festival, as with all 2021 NYSSMA solo festivals will be held virtually. There will be NO IN-PERSON festivals this year. Students will have a one-week window (March 19 – March 26, 2021) to record their performance and upload to the “MusicFirst” web-based program for music evaluations.
Here is the process for interested students:
- Students must register through Niskayuna CSD. Private teachers cannot register their students.
- Complete the form on the next page and return (with the fee) to the district music office by Feb. 12, 2021.
- After registration is complete students will receive a URL to upload their work.
- Students record and upload their performance from March 19 – March 26. Recordings can be done on a smartphone or tablet. Students will also have the option to record directly into the “MusicFirst” program.
- Receive the written adjudicator feedback/evaluation approximately 1-2 weeks after the performance
Uploaded student performance will include five tasks:
Task 1 – student will complete field prompts for general registration
Task 2 – student will upload a scanned copy of their solo or ensemble score
Task 3 – scales*
Task 4 – solo
Task 5 – sight reading
*Scales – (Instrumentalists only) The required three scales for each level will be available to teachers and students on the NYSSMA Website and School Music News. Students will pre-record their scales or rudiments and upload when completing Task 3.
Fees: Cash or check payable to NISKAYUNA FRIENDS OF MUSIC (or FOM)
Level 1-4: $16
Level 5-6: $24
All-State Level: $30
Please return the application form (and check made payable to FOM) to the District Music Office by February 12, 2021.